The meeting of the PakFEA General Body was held on Saturday the 1st April, 2023 at .2.00 pm, at M/s. Arsala Seafoods (Mekran Fisheries), Karachi to discuss the following Agenda:
1. Matters relating to registration renewal with GACC
2. Matters relating to July- June Ban 2023
3. Any other matter with the permission of the Chair.
The list of participants of the meeting is attached.
The meeting started with recitation from the Holy Al-Qura’an.
AGENDA ITEM NO. 1 – MATTERS RELATING TO REGISTRATION RENEWAL WITH GACC
Opening the discussions Mr. Muhammad Zafar Iqbal, the Chairman, PakFEA briefed the members that the registration of most of the companies with GACC is expiring on 30th September, 2023. The PAKFEA has requested the MFD and MOC to take up the matter with the GACC for:
- Pakistani seafood exporters should request the GACC to extend the renewal of their plants in GACC for a period of 3 years w.e.f., 1st October, 2023 to 30th September, 2026.
- If extension request is not acceptable/ workable the the GACC may take up the renewal process and continue to release the consigned containrers of the concerned company/companies for smooth flow of exports, till their registration is not completed even afer the expiry date.
- The CIQ, HS Code of China, Pakistan Customs and MFD do not match. The MFD may reconcile it with Pakistan Customs and GACC and provide a reconciled list for circulation to exporters
- The regisration cases be placed on fast track and disposed off as early as possible, as it is taking long time from GACC side.
However, we have been informed that the GACC is not extending the registration period. Therefore, we have to initiate the renewal/registration with the GACC through MFD. As per GACC Rules, the renewal/registration applications have to be filed 3 (THREE) months before the expiry of registration i.e., 30th June, 2023.
Accordingly, it was decided that the member be informed through email that those members whose registration with GACC is expiring on 30th September, 2023, they may start filing their renewal application/documents with the GACC for renewal right now and end it on or before 30th June 2023 without fail. In case of failure on their part, the renewal applications/ documents will not be accepted/ entertained by the GACC and they have to suffer badly as 30th June 2023, is the last date as per GACC Rules,
To speed up the registration process the Chairman has informed that he has requested the DG MFD to cut short the inspection of units/companies and facilitation 2 (TWO) member Committee one from PAKFEA and one from MFD may be set up. From the side of PAKFEA we have given the name of Mr. Imran Muhib, an EC Member who has good experience about registration process and filing of documents. The members can approach Mr. Imran Muhib for any assistance on his Cell #: 0333-2604578.
It was also suggested that we may approach the Ministry of Maritime Affairs to man the MFD properly to deal with the heavy work of registration so that it can be finished by 30th Jun, 2023.
AGENDA ITEM NO. 2 – MATTERS RELATING TO JULY- JUNE BAN 2023
In this connection Mr. Muhammad Zafar Iqbal, the Chairman, PakFEA has briefed the members that Chairman, FCS last year has given committed that he will go along with PKFEA to implement the 2023 ban.
In a meeting the Chairman, FCSL, reiterated his commitment and informed that FCS will implement the June-July Ban 2023 completely, will close all the GATES and would not allow any stuff to come in the Karachi Fish Harbour Area. This fact may be brought to the notice of PAKFEA members.
The Chairman, FCS has requested the Chairman, PAKFEA to consult his members and give his response in the next meeting of FCS Board being held on 5th April, 2023 which will be attended by all the stakeholders on the coming June-July Ban issue.
Accordingly, the Chairman, PAKFEA, has invited the suggestions from the General Body members as to what should be his response in the coming meeting of FCS Board.
The consensus of the members was that we should inform the FCS Board that PKAFEA is in favour of the Law of the Province and desires that it should be honored as such in its letter and spirit.
It was decided that the following 3 (THREE) members represent the PAKFEA in the FCS Board.
1. Mr. Muhammad Zafar Iqbal, Chairman, PAKFEA
2. Mr. Kabir P Kanji
3. Mr. Bilal Waheed Awan.
AGENDA ITEM NO. 3 – ANY OTHER MATTER WITH THE PERMISSION OF THE CHAIR.
- KFHA PROPOSED ANNUAL REGISTRATION FEE
The Chairman, PakFEA Mr. Muhammad Zafar Iqbal, informed the members that the KFHA has proposed to charge registration fee on annual basis as per following categories.
- Permanent users ( Processors & Sub-lettees) Rs. 50,000 per annum
- Temporary users (Rentees) Rs. 30,000 per annum
Besides, the KFHA will form a Committee comprising two members from KFHA, FCSL & PAKEA for the betterment of Karachi Fish Harbour. The committee will identify areas where actionis required viz. Cleanliness, encroachment, etc.
In this connection the Chairman, said that this fee is not the final figure and we will negotiate it with the KFHA to bring it down as possible.
Having no other item to discuss the meeting ended with a vote of thanks to and from the Chair.